Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Commitment


Hey guys,

So going into Christmas break we played our last league match against St. FX at their home gym. I'm proud to let you know that we finished off 2011 just right, with a 3-0 win against them. We've all had nice breaks, girls have been able to go home from all across the country - Ontario, Winnipeg, Calgary, and in various places from New Brunswick! Though I always love my time at home with my family, I'm always eager to get back into the gym and set up that net.

This weekend we're heading to Newfoundland to play a double header against MUN along with the Men's volleyball team. We'll leave Friday at 9:30 from Fredericton and drive to Halifax, where we will fly out of. It takes a lot of time off the court to be able to be a member of any varsity team on campus, and time management is a crucial skill for every athlete with the classes we tend to miss due to traveling (but so worth it). Every game is an important game, and this weekend is no exception, MUN will be a great team to start off 2012 against and many girls will be able to experience Newfoundland for the first time as well.

Each week I'm going to give you a glimpse of one of my teammates whether it be getting a quote from them, their favourite tune, what they have to do before a game, or any other tid bits that contribute to making our team unique from all of the others. This week I'll start off!

One of the most important things that I have been brought up with in any sport I have played was the value of commitment. In grade eleven and twelve I was in a weight training class in my high school, and was only 1 of 2 girls in the entire class. Each year, one of the tests was to memorize the quote painted on the brick wall of our weight room, and it was our definition of commitment:

"Commitment is what transforms a promise into reality. It is the words that speak boldly of your intentions, and the actions which speak louder than the words. It is making the time when there is none. Coming through time after time after time, year after year after year. Commitment is the stuff character is made of; the power to change the face of things. It is the daily triumph of integrity over skepticism."

I have grown up with this belief, and I strongly believe that it is a key element to success of any team, sport, assignment, or any endeavour you take on in your life. Some people may think a volleyball team is just a volleyball team, but being a member of it makes you a member of a second family. You never want to disappoint your family, so I never want to let any of my teammates down. A varsity athlete is something many people dream of becoming, but not all get the opportunity to be. Our team's commitment to the sport, the program at UNB and to each other is something that helps us improve each day, give back to the community, and hopefully inspire others in the future.

I'll be keeping you posted on this weekends events and results, and wish all the best to all the other teams playing as well!

Suggested tunes this week from 4th year Amber Gamblin (#1): We Found Love by Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris.

Well that's all for now folks, keep checking back and I'll see ya next time,
MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment